The Mercedes G4 was a luxury German off-road car produced between 1934 and 1939. The G4 was equipped with an 8-cylinder in-line engine. The synchronized transmission provided front-wheel drive, four-rear or all six together. The car reached a speed of 67 km/h. The design based on the long frame provided a spacious interior for seven people. The vehicles were initially designated for the SS and used by Adolf Hitler and his aides. The chief of the Third Reich was driving this type of car during his stay in Poland in September 1939. A hallmark of the Mercedes G4 is the characteristic painting of the body work in ash color and black fenders. During the war the cars were repainted in a matte gray color.